3/9/15

Houston Road Trip

This weekend was the annual "1209 Guys" Reunion.

The little boys and I decided to go along to Houston and visit my friend, Julie.  Boy what a treat it was for us!

On Sat, we got to see part of a state high school drill team competition. Julie's mother-in-law heads up a drill team east of Houston and was in Houston for the competition.
Wow, those girls are serious and talented.  And the captains have to be loud and strong.  Mark's sister was a drill team captain in high school.  I don't think of her as a loud person, so it was fun to picture her shouting instructions in that setting.

After naps, Julie so graciously arranged a flight(!) for me with her dad (a retired military and commercial pilot).
Very excited!
He lives among several neighbors who share a small airstrip.  He built a two-seater plane himself, an RV-7.  Julie designed the paint scheme and helped paint it.
What a beauty!
When I told Oliver that "Mommy was going flying," he said he didn't want me to go away.  I had to explain that I was just going on a ride.  I'd be right back.  He smiled at that point and was glued to the plane, fascinated.  Julie said the kids were shouting a countdown and cheering us on as we took off.
The cheering squad
Oliver cheering
Aiden:  "Look!"

Fly-by / Low pass
 The plane is considered aerobatic, so we had quite the time!

Meanwhile, Mark had a great time with the guys across town.

No comments: