I was standing outside a church Sunday morning, listening to Christian worshipers sing joyfully -- listening to their voices wash out of the open church doors, echoing off buildings in the surrounding neighborhood. It was one of those moments that strikes you as poignant, right there as you're in it.
I had a chance to meet up with Heather Lip and the George's on Sunday, and go to church at Bangalore Bible Church in north Bangalore. I managed to take an auto(rickshaw) to the north end of town in record time. The church was half orphans from the school that the church is attached to, and half believers from around town -- some newly-justified believers from the surrounding village. We sang from well-worn hymnals that read "Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas" in gold-stamp on their covers. The service was long -- almost 2 hours. The time of collective reflection wasn't just a time of silence. The older men in the congregation would read scripture, pray, or start singing hymns that everyone could sing from memory. You could feel the well-worn faith of the people in the congregation.
Afterwards, the George's took their guests to Samarkand Restaurant. The food there was excellent. The second course was Tandoori chicken with your choice of five curries. The chicken was so tasty (melt in your mouth good), I think the curries would've just gotten in the way. If they had this stuff in Austin, you'd be right over....
1/24/07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You realize Northwest Bible Church is where Sterling and Shannon attend services, don't you? Man that's amazing. I guess putting money in the plate really works.
Post a Comment