I bought groceries Sunday. It took some work, and some much-needed help from a shop owner and friends, but I managed to buy enough groceries to cook American breakfast in the morning. On the way to the store, we were talking about culture shock and how long it takes to get used to being in a different place.
I'm probably in culture shock now. I don't really think of it as "shock", though. It's fascinating to me what other people think is "normal", mostly. Little things -- like the fact that I can't buy eggs in an egg crate. In Bangalore, you buy your eggs one-by-one, and then the shop owner drops the lone eggs in a plastic sack and hands them over the counter. "Seriously!?", I think to myself.
Other things that seem strange at first, but you take to them after a while:
Eating with my right hand -- no utensils needed. Just make the first three fingers on your right hand into a spork, and dig in. The left hand is not acceptable (it's considered unclean as a rule), so it makes a leftie try a little harder.
Finding drinking water. Most people don't trust the public water system, and there are "drinking water" fountains or bottles all over.
Bobbing heads. Wagging your head back and forth means, "Yep, OK, I got it." I like the gesture so much, I've caught myself doing to, too.
1/24/07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
"Bobbing heads. Wagging your head back and forth means, "Yep, OK, I got it." I like the gesture so much, I've caught myself doing to, too."
Bobble head.
Post a Comment