1/19/10

Addendum to Miami

I meant to mention this in our Miami post, but forgot.

In Miami, it seemed that 80% of people spoke Spanish. I knew that Miami had a lot of Spanish-speakers; however, knowing there are a lot of Spanish-speakers in Miami and actually being surrounded by them are two different things. Of course, I loved it, because I love the language and was able to practice :)

Example:
While sitting at breakfast in the Miami hotel on Sunday morning, I overheard a gentleman (non-Spanish-speaker) sit down and converse with a waiter. It went as follows:

Gentleman: What do you have for lunch?

Waiter: [written as it was pronounced with a strong Spanish accent] We have a lunch boofeh, lasagna, and the vehetal es es-parra-goose.

Gentleman: As-parra-goose?

Waiter: Si, es-parra-goose.

Gentleman: As-parra-goose?

Waiter: Si, es-parra-goose.

Gentlemen: Oh! Sprouts?

Waiter: No, es-parra-goose.

Lindsay: [interjecting] Asparagus.

Gentlemen: Oh, asparagus. Thank you!

Waiter: Si, es-parra-goose.

Lindsay: [to herself] I love Español.

3 comments:

Oscar said...

Nice! Possibly the waiter, like most people, when trying to remember a noun in a foreign language, associated it with similar sounding words in his native language. Google translation tells me that es-para = "is for" :)

Amanda said...

It's fun that you are already going strong with the blog; I love reading what y'all are up to! Muy divertado! (reaching way back in my brain to high school sophmore Spanish class....hopefully accurate...)

Kara said...

Oh my gosh, this was hilarious! Were you giggling to yourself as this whole conversation went down? I would've been. Not meaning to laugh at either of the gentlemen, just at the ridiculousness of it all. As-Pair-of-Goose!