Folks have asked what has been the hardest adjustment so far, and for me, it has been being away from family and friends. I definitely took for granted the ease of picking up my US cell phone and calling anyone at any time.
So I have to admit, I was nervous about spending my 30th away from family and friends. Our Schwarz family gave me a beautiful birthday celebration in January before our departure, and I can still see the smiles of the family and taste the smooth chocolate cake on my tongue (one of the best cakes I have had). Our Hauser family will celebrate when we visit in August, which I look forward to immensely!
To my surprise, I actually was more sad a week before my birthday than on my actual birthday. I anticipated feeling lonely, but Mark decided to cook dinner for not just me, but the entire family of 20.
Mark and cuñado (brother-in-law) peeling avocados.
The final product: tuna salad-stuffed avocado on a bed of lettuce with a side a achote-spiced rice. YUM!
Thus, I was surrounded by the family with whom we are living and the smiles, (Happy Birthday song, in Spanish) was a nice taste of home.
To see a video of the family singing to me, please click here to be linked to youtube. I love Mark´s expressions in the video!
One thing that is a little unusual is that after they sing Feliz Cumpleanos, they then sing a song (``Te estas poniendo viejita...), which roughly translates into,``You are becoming an old person...´´ A different culture, but with a sense of humor! Of course, I don´t get hung up on age, unless it prevents me from doing something fun. The number 30 is actually quite a fun number.
2 comments:
Matt, Grant and I have had a couple good conversations about turning 30. (I'm the only one holding out still.) The gist is that we've all done our fair share of life reflection and can't believe how much of life is already behind us even though it still feels like the beginning. We are most likely 1/3 of the way done! Maybe more!
Glad you got to have a good time down there. Keep blogging!
Lindsay,
I was sad that I couldn't see you or even do our usual birthday phone call, but I am happy to hear Mark was able to make your 30th B-day extra special. I can't wait to see pictures. I think of you guys daily and glad to hear you two are doing well. Mark, you take care of my Lindsay and keep her safe!! Love you and Miss you!
Post a Comment