2/22/10

The Least of These

[I (Lindsay) have now completed my Spanish language review and am volunteering during the day.]

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'

Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'

And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'
- Matthew 25:34-40 (ESV)

The past few days, I have experienced a touch of what He meant by``the least of these´´ in my volunteer work at a Catholic-run home for girls and older folks. In the morning specifically, I have been working with folks who are older, who do not have much money, and who do not have much mobility or control over their bodies. This means that they own very little, have to wear a diaper, have to be washed, and have to be fed. Basically, these folks have been taken in by a group of nuns and are cared for daily.

I never appreciated my ability to chew, to bathe myself, to have privacy, or simply to move around on my own. Take a moment, rub your tongue over your teeth, and appreciate these beautiful bones that help you chew your food. Aren´t they wonderful gifts?!

Last Thursday, I was asked to assist in bathing these older folks and it was one of the hardest things I´ve had to do in my life because I was forced to face this difficult phase in life. Why do the nuns do this each day? Perhaps to improve the last phase of life that these older folks live and to love these people that maybe are forgotten. Honestly, I did not want to face this difficult life phase. It made/makes me very sad. But I also realize that these people have lived long lives, and still are present, living. They simply don´t have their faculties about them as much any more. To love on them and treat them like people, like God´s children is a responsibility. Just because I have abilities and have my faculties about me shouldn´t mean that I deserve more respect or love.

Through this work, I am gaining a better understanding of LOVE. I have understood that it can be tough to love someone who is difficult or irritable emotionally. But is loving those who are physically challenged or incapable also difficult at times? It was difficult for me because I did not want to think about this phase of life. (I know, selfish thought.) But even this phase is still life. How much have I been loved and am loved every day? Do I appreciate this love or recognize it enough to allow it to overflow from me in difficult situations? Do you?

I so eagerly wanted to know these folks´stories; however, many of them do not have their mental capacities any more, so they cannot hold a conversation. BUT, I could care for them, love them, touch them, look into their eyes and see their history, and pray that they would experience the Lord´s LOVE still.

It is not pleasant, it is not pretty, but it is life, and we all have to live it. This past week, I faced ``the least of these´´ and I can´t say I enjoyed every moment, but I did hear my Lord say, ``This is what I mean by `the least of these´.´´ I was saddened at not being more honored to show love to them. I am confident that I am a child of God like all of you, but I certainly did not feel like the ``righteous´´ to which the scripture above refers. However, I am learning and pray that God is making me more humble, appreciative, and loving through each of these experiences.

No comments: